Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Practicing what I preach...

The look on a parent's face when I tell them it is time to take a few photos with the kids is priceless. It is almost always a total recoil and 20 reasons why they simply cannot be photographed that day. If it was planned as a family session that is one thing, but if they are just there for the children's photos, they can't imagine stepping in front of the camera.

I have been advocating for years that parents (especially moms because they are usually the one who holds the family camera) need to get in the photos with their children. Your kids don't care if you think you need to lose a few pounds or wish you had lipstick on, they just want to see themselves in photos with you. It gives them a larger point of reference. It allows them to look back on fun times and see you smiling too. It is truly important that they have that tangible evidence that you were there.

In my house it is clearly do as I say not as I do. I work with a camera all day long and I am comfortable when the lens is pointed at someone else. Point it at me and I want to duck and hide. I take great care with my clients. They are like family and I want them to feel energized and happy when they view their photos. I can't say that when I see photos that someone else has taken of me, I get those warm fuzzy feelings.  Knowing this, I have conveniently 'missed' camera ready moments.

Well, this Sunday I changed all that. My crazy 11 year old and I had a little fun with the camera on my cell phone. Bad lighting, no makeup, wickedly bad angles... should I go on? But, it was so much fun! I am glad we took them. I may regret sharing them, but here they are.

See not that painful. When you get the chance get in the photo. Cuddle with your family, laugh out loud and record those memories you are making. Make sure that you are a part of the family in every way, even the photographs. Your loved ones want to see you there!

Then call me and we will create a family session perfect for your family and full of images you will love to show off.  The best of all worlds!  

  

1 comment:

  1. So beautifully stated!!!! Congrats on the blog and thank you for documenting some very special moments in my son's life!!!! xo Lynn M

    ReplyDelete